Gazpacho is a cold dish made with “Bacalao.” Bacalao is salted codfish that is used in many ways in Puerto Rican dishes, and it’s actually one of the healthiest. It’s high in protein, omegas, and healthy fats.
Codfish health benefits include; high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, the same type found in oily fish or seafood like salmon, mackerel and sardines. It’s also one of the few and best vitamin D–rich foods. No wonder our ancestors were so healthy, they would eat bacalao almost every day.
Omega-3 fatty acids and healthy fats are proven to improve joint mobility, brain function, reduce inflammation, improve overall health, and much more. Check out more of the benefits in the resources below.
Nutrition Dork Tip: Make sure the package says “Wild Caught” and/or codfish from Alaska. Due to ocean contamination, we need to make sure we get our fish and any other seafood from great healthy sources.
- 1 pack of fully cooked boneless salted cod or pollock fish fillets (pollock is a marine fish species of the cod family)
- 2 or 3 small ripe avocados (the more the merrier)
- 1 or 1/2 small chopped yellow or red onion (your preference)
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 – 3 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1 tsp of vinegar or squeezed lemon (maintains the freshness of the salad)
- Pink salt (if needed) and pepper to taste
- Rinse the salt of the fish very well (2 or 3 times). You can also soak overnight or for a few hours. I usually rinse the fish very well, then boil it to remove the excess salt. Sporadically taste the fish to make sure it’s to your liking.
- Let it cool and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix the chopped avocados, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Pull the fish into flakes and make sure there are no stray bones.
- Add the fish to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix very well.
- Add pepper to taste and salt if needed. The fish might still have some remaining salt.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!
- You can refrigerate for up to 24 hours but it’s best when served immediately.
- Typically this dish is served inside soft roll, or with white rice as shown in the picture.
- Other healthy pairings are, 1 cup of brown rice, and/or cooked quinoa, for a low-carb option.
- If served with quinoa, this dish is high in protein, omegas, and healthy fats. All proven to promote weight loss, so ENJOY!!
Note: For a healthy vegan option, omit the fish and add over greens for a tasty and delicious salad!
Mayra – Your Nutrition Dork Guide!