I’ve been craving funfetti cake for weeks now. Probably because I’ve been watching lots of Netflix’ Nailed It during this quarantine. I hope they have another season, because I totally want to audition. I’m definitely no baker, but I love it! And I love to give baking a healthy twist as well. Sugar, dairy, and gluten are like my kryptonite, so I love making healthy alternatives that actually taste good! This cake is just that, because even the kids liked it.
Funfetti Healthy Cake
- ¾ cup softened organic butter (or plant based butter)
- 1 cup coconut sugar for low-glycemic (or regular cane sugar if preferred)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Organic or regular sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Makes 12 cupcakes or two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Line with parchment or cupcake paper. Or oil the pans and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs (one at a time) and beat until completely blended.
- Add milk, vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared cake or cupcake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Test with a toothpick in the center of the cake to see if it’s ready. Toothpick should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to completely cool down before applying the buttercream.
For the buttercream:
- 1 softened stick of butter (or plant based butter)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar and/or sugar replacement Swerve (a mixture of stevia and monk fruit). You can find this at any health food store and/or Thrive Market online. If desired, you can add half cup of each, for a still sweet but less sugar alternative.
- 2 tbs of almond or coconut milk
- Add all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix all the ingredients with a hand mixer or by hand until the butter cream is nice and fluffy. Slowly add more powdered sugar if needed, or until you achieve a desired consistency.
- Apply to the cake and/or cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles.
For more healthy recipes like this, download my FREE Healthy Desserts Ebook.
I hope you enjoy!
Made with love,
Your Nutrition Dork Guide